Skip to main content

My Award Show Just Vent Viral: The BET Social Awards Rundown

The BET Social Awards premiered last night and I honestly did not know they were coming on. I only seen the nominees on Twitter I didn't even know when the award show was going to premiere.  I accidentally stumbled upon them because I was watching Kevin Hart's Grown Little Man comedy special on BET and it came on right after.

Just five minutes in and BET was already having technical difficulties. So much glitching that I was starting to think that there was something wrong with my cable box. The show started off with a cute dance number that honestly could've been left at home. Michael Blackson was the host and for a social media award show I expected someone who came up through social media to host it. Names like DC Young Fly and Khadi Don were thrown around for hosting and I wish BET would've capitalized on that opportunity.



The show had three performances. Amanda Seales did a spoken word routine called "Black Girl Magic" and I was really impressed. Kash Doll performed her viral hit "For Everybody" and while she looked AMAZING, I did not like her performance. I felt like she was performing to everyone except the people at home watching. She didn't look forward to the audience until towards the end of the performance. YFN Lucci closed the show and I didn't know he did until the credits started rolling. It was an awkward ending. No goodbyes, "have a good night," nothing.



The Winners

Best Tea 
Fameolous 
*The Shaderoom*
Bossip
Baller Alert

No surprise here. I love The Shaderoom. I read it everyday like my morning paper and they have the biggest following. 

Issa Wave
H. E. R
21 Savage 
*Kash Doll*
Lil Uzi Vert
Logic

Now I love Kash Doll but I don't understand what this category is about. Does "Issa Wave" mean you created a movement? Let's not forget 21 Savage created the word "issa." I feel like either 21 or Lil Uzi should've won because they constantly go viral. I personally feel like they gave her the award because she was the only one in attendance. 

Social Hustle 
Jess Hilarious 
DC Young Fly
Fatboy SSE
*KendallKyndall* 
Watch Jazzy

I've been following KendallKyndall on Facebook for a while now and he is funny and making big moves. He's secured a role on Claws and even did the red carpet for The Main Event. I'm not mad at this win. 

LMAO
LalaSizahands
Tami Roman
*BlameItOnKway*
Haha Davis
Jess Hilarious 

I'm not suprised Kway won but his schtick is kind of getting old. I really think Jess or Haha Davis should've took this one. Also, why was Tami Roman nominated?

Clapback
Chrissy Teigen 
Maxine Waters 
Angela Rye 
Remy Ma
*Jess Hilarious* 

I'm glad Jess won. She's made me laugh so many times clapping back at people. What I wasn't here for was BET shading Nicki Minaj in the process. While reading the nominees one of the presenters decided to throw shade at Nicki when revealing that Remy Ma is the nominee. BET doesn't need to come at one of the most popular rappers in the game right now. That's not good for them. They already gave Remy the Best Female Rapper award at last years BET Awards. Now this? They're going to start a riff with Nicki if they keep it up. 

Best Podcast
The Read 
The Bodega Boys
*The Joe Budden Podcast* 
2 Dope Queens
Drink Champs

No. The Read or The Bodega Boys should've won. When you think of urban podcasts those and 2 Dope Queens are the first ones that come to mind. I didn't even know Joe Budden still had a podcast I thought he was working on more online/TV media projects. 


Mood AF
Salt Bae
RHOA - "Who Said That?"
Roll Safe
*Issa Rae - "I'm Rooting For Everybody Black"*
MJ Crying Face

Issa Rae winning was a good look. I definitely have said this and know other black people who have as well. The MJ Crying Face is outdated there was SOOOOOO many other memes that could've took it's place. If Issa didn't win then I'd be happy if "Who said that" took it's place. I still quote it to this day. 

Bae Watch
*Remy Ma & Papoose*
Gucci Mane & Keyshia Ka'oir
Cardi B & Offset
Teyana Taylor & Iman Shumpert 
Ciara & Russell Wilson 

I'm surprised Gucci Mane and Keyshia Ka'oir didn't win because BET did their wedding special. Remy & Pap are a cute represent and are always representing black love to the fullest. Congrats to them. 


Overall the BET Social Awards was a great concept, just poor execution. Hopefully next year BET gets a better budget and a clear idea on what they want to do. Twitter wasn't too happy at the award show and talked about the poor production, dry audience, and awkwardness of the show. I'm rooting for BET to get it together come 2019.


Comments